Friday, July 29, 2011

Amy Winehouse RIP Edition

Another talented singer who fell to her demons last week. I admit that I was never a fan of hers. But I can understand why people listened to Amy Winehouse. She had an original sound that alot of pop stars are starting to use now.

But while on the subject of her death, I don't think you can put her in the same category of other singers that died at the age of 27. I look at the names of those who are in the 27 Club (which for the record, I am glad I am not in this prestigous club) and as talented as Amy Winehouse was, she is not in the same league. Kurt Cobain is responsible for the Grunge movement. Without Nirvana Seattle would just be a rainy town. Jimi Hendrix is one of the most talented guitarists of all time! Jim Morrison was the enigmatic lead singer for one of the most popular classic rock bands ever. Janis Joplin was a superstar when music was predominately male. Nothing against Amy Winehouse, but in this era of tabloids she is more known for going to Rehab then she is for her song "Rehab"

According to her parents, the cause of death is withdrawl from alcohol. I am not a doctor, but I think this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I understand the pains of withdrawl, but I refuse to believe that she drank so much that her body couldn't deal without it.

The music world lost another voice in the night. Regardless of the age of this singer, she provided many with great inspiration and great music. She will be missed. However, chalk another one up for the demons.... And that's sad

No comments:

Post a Comment