Saturday, January 29, 2011

True Grit Review Edition

I recently had a chance to see the Oscar nominated Western "True Grit" starring Jeff Bridges. I fully admit that it is normally out of my usual style of movies.

I didnt expect to enjoy the movie as much as I did. I mean, let's face it. The closest movie I have to a western in my DVD collection is Back To The Future 3. There was really 3 major performances in this movie.

First let me speak of Matt Damon. For a guy from Boston his texas accent is pretty good. It's much better then James "I Don't Want Your Life" Vanderbeek. He is as close to the comic relief in this movie as there will be, however everyone had some good lines.

New comer Hallie Steinfield played the role of Mattie, the girl seeking revenge on her father's murder. She kind of scared me for a 14 year old girl. She definitely deserved the Oscar Nomination that she got, especially considering this is her first major role. To share the screen with Matt Damon and Jeff Bridges and go toe to toe with them is nothing short of phenomenonal. I wouldnt want to mess with Mattie. She was total no nonsense.

And of course then there is Jeff Bridges who late in his career is reinvented himself from just a solid actor to appearing in blockbusters that you would never expect him to be in. In the role for this movie, he seemed to mumble more then he talked. But some of the looks he gave could scare the rust off of a bumper. Alot of times his character was drunk and rambling, which was pretty funny.

I would give the movie a 8 out of 10 stars and highly reccomend it. I am hoping to catch more of the Oscar nominees before the awards are given out

No comments:

Post a Comment