Friday, March 1, 2013

Oscar 2013 Wrap Up Edition

Welcome Back to the Entertainment Guru News and Views Oscars 2013 Wrap up Edition. There were a few surprises in this year's ceremony. Which is of course always a good thing. No one wants to see it if it's completely predictable. But we will get into the winners in just a few minutes.

We will start with my thoughts on your Oscars host Seth McFarlane. I am not a fan of his TV work (ie Family Guy, American Dad, or the Cleveland Show) but I did want to see Ted and I think he has an amazing voice. For anyone that hasn't heard him, you will enjoy this. At first I was a little skeptical about him hosting the Oscars. His brand of humor doesn't fit what the Oscars stand for. If it did, Ace Ventura and Anchorman would both be Oscar winners. But after watching his performance as host, I thought he did a good job. Was it great? Was he the best Host ever? No, I don't think so. Maybe he pushed a few boundaries that didn't need to be pushed, but you have to know that the producers got exactly what they asked for with him. I think the skit with William Shatner went a little too long, but that really was my only complaint.

I fell for the rumors that they were going to have all the actors who played James Bond on the stage at the same time for the first time in history. I think that would have been a piece of cinematic history, but unfortunately that didn't happen. It is the 50 anniversary of Bond on the big screen. It would have been a nice touch, but another rumor I had heard was that Pierce Brosnan refused to do it. So I can understand not doing it if all of them weren't there.

I think that J-Law, Daniel Day-Lewis and Anne Hathaway winning were almost guaranteed to win and they did. Christoph Waltz winning was definitely a surprise to me. But not to my girlfriend Lori, but there will be more on that a little later. I liked that Argo won Best Picture. It definitely deserved it. It almost (BUT NOT QUITE) made up for the Academy not recognizing Ben Affleck as both an Actor and director.

If it was anyone else, I would have enjoyed watching them trip up on the steps. But not Jennifer Lawrence. I think she will be a multiple time winner throughout her career.

Last week I ran a contest between myself, my girlfriend Lori and a fellow blogger ThePeverettPhile. What I forgot to mention was that since there was only going to be nine categories, if it ended in a tie then if one of us was able to get Best Picture winner they would win. Well, untimely that didn't matter. So without further adieu, I give you the standings from this challenge.

In third place with a record of 5-4 was my girlfriend Lori. She correctly guessed Christoph Waltz, J-Law, Anne Hathaway and Brave (Animated Movie) and Argo

In second place was me with a 6-3 record. I guessed Daniel Day-Lewis, J-Law, Anne Hathaway, both screenplays and Brave.

So winning the first ever Entertainment Guru News and Views Oscar Prediction Challenge, Congratulations to Jason for getting 7-2 only missing Supporting Actor and Director.

After not being around for a long time, I promise that I will continue to blog!

2 comments: