Friday, February 22, 2013

Oscars 2013 Edition

Welcome to the return of the Entertainment Guru News and Views. It's been a long time coming (again, I know) but I am back with a much happier blog then my last one. It's Oscar season so what better reason to make my return than to talk about some of the movies I have seen that are up for a few statues. Plus I have a first ever contest for the Entertainment Guru News and Views Blog.

Watching movies that are usually up for Best Picture are not my normal cinematic viewing. I tend to watch dumb comedies or action movies with little to no plot. But my girlfriend Lori and I wanted to expand my movie horizons. So this year alone we went and saw four of the movies that are up for Best Picture. We saw Argo, Silver Linings Playbook, Les Miserables, and Lincoln. All four are up for multiple awards this Sunday.

I enjoyed all of them, though two stood out above the rest. Acting wise, all four of the movies had great casts and not one single horrible performance. The Academy really messed up with Argo. What made Ben Affleck's performance so incredible was that he was doing double duty on both sides of the camera. Yet the Academy Of Motion Pictures failed to reward him with a nomination for either which I am still in shock about. There are a few historical inaccuracies about the movie, but some of that was for dramatic effect. No one is up in arms about it, as they are with some of the inaccuracies about Lincoln, which I find hysterical.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/06/connecticut-congressman-challenges-lincolns-historical-accuracy/

I am really hoping that Silver Linings Playbook does really well. It's one of those movies I secretly love. It's the kind of story that makes me want to start writing again. It combines some real dramatic moments with some great funny moments too. It's the perfect blend of a movie.

It wasn't that I didn't enjoy Lincoln and Les Mis, just not as much as Silver Linings and Argo. Lincoln was just a little too dry for me. Daniel Day-Lewis completely washed himself into the character as he always does. I was glad to see James Spader as the comic relief, especially when he runs! Regardless of what people were saying about Russell Crowe's singing in Les Mis, he wasn't bad at all. It was only bad when he was singing against Hugh Jackman, but whose singing wouldn't be bad when compared to his?

As you may know I appear on The Peverett Phile as a correspondent at times so I thought I would invite Jason to my blog for the first time in an Oscar contest. Also included today is my girlfriend Lori. We picked the nine biggest categories with who we thought would win. So here we go.

My picks were: Actor Daniel Day-Lewis Supporting Actor Tommy Lee Jones Actress Jennifer Lawerence Supporting Actress Anne Hathaway Director David O. Russell Original Screenplay Django Unchained Adapted Screenplay Argo Animated Film Brave Picture Silver Linings Playbook

Lori's Picks were: Actor Hugh Jackman Supporting Actor Christoph Waltz Actress Jennifer Lawerence Supporting Actress Anne Hathaway Director Steven Spielberg Original Screenplay Moonrise Kingdom Adapted Screenplay Silver Linings Playbook Animated Film Brave Picture Argo

Jason's Picks were: Actor Daniel Day-Lewis Supporting Actor Tommy Lee Jones Actress Jennifer Lawerence Supporting Actress Anne Hathaway Director Steven Spielberg Original Screenplay Django Unchained Adapted Screenplay Argo Animated Film Brave Picture Argo/p>

No comments:

Post a Comment