Saturday, February 25, 2012

Oscars 2012 Edition

There is a lot in the world of entertainment happening right now. But of course the biggest story so far of the year is the death of Whitney Houston. I would say as far as the late 80's goes, we have lost two of the five biggest musicians of the era, with the other one of course being Michael Jackson. Her later years were not so pretty as far as both personal and professional life. Most people would point to her marriage to bad boy Bobby Brown as what set her down a path she probably never recovered from. Her passing was tragic, but in the end she left us great music and a handful of memorable acting roles as well.

I do however think that too much was made of her passing. The state of New Jersey lowered the flag to half mast? With all the soldiers that died in Iraq and Afghanistan, I personally think that should be reserved for them, not for a musician. I didn't even know she was from New Jersey, quite honestly. But I will reserve judgement on the matter until people like Springsteen and Bon Jovi pass as well. If the honor was fitting her, they deserve the same treatment.

The Oscars are tomorrow, so I wanted to make sure I got my predictions in. For Best Picture, it's hard to argue against the Artist. Making a silent movie in 2011 could have been the biggest gamble ever. That could have flopped worse then Gigli. But I think it's safe to say it was a success! I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in the future we see more silent movies. Think about it. James Cameron made one movie in 3D. It was a success. Now everywhere you turn you see 3D movies. If it works, Hollywood will make it! Until it's overkill...

For Best Actor, I think some guy named Clooney will win. The movie looks like it was made for George plus you add the pedigree of Alexander Payne to him. If it wasn't for the Artist, I think The Descandents would have won best Picture as well.

For Best Actress, wow.... does it get any harder picking between Glenn Close and Meryl Streep? But I think I am going to give it to The Iron Lady, Meryl Streep. Watching the trailer it's so hard to tell that its a movie. She embodied the role of Margaret Thatcher.

For best Supporting Actor, Christopher Plummer will win. Again, a very daring portrait. It's much different then what is usually out there so I hope he wins.

Best Supporting Actress? Octavia Spencer will Help herself to that trophy. Did you see what I did there? No...? Ok. She wins for the Help! There? Better?

For best Director, I will go with Alexander Payne.

I don't see one movie dominating the Oscars like we have seen before though. I think it will be a wide open race for most awards.

The other big news coming out of the Oscars is Sascha Baron Cohen and the Dictator. I am not a fan of this man when he plays these bizarre characters, but I think I am interested in this movie more then I was Borat etc. He wants to attend the Oscars in character, but they said no. Now they seem to be wavering. So we will see tomorrow if he comes in character or not.

Check back later in the week for my Oscar review plus the first ever EGNV Awards!

No comments:

Post a Comment