Saturday, August 28, 2010

Top Ten Characters

In Entertainment Weekly back in June they listed their top 100 characters of the last 20 years. It's an interesting article, though I don't exactly agree with everything in their list. So it gave me the idea to make my own list. I am sure there will be people who will disagree with my list as well, and I kind of expect that.

10. Ron Burgundy - Anchorman Yes, the character is a cheesy character. But deep down Ron was a caring man. He loved his dog Baxter. Who else would have PJ's for a dog? Throughout the course of the movie, Ron grew up and cared for Veronica as well. I think other then his character in Old School, this was Will Ferrell's best work.


9. Homer Simpson - Simpsons This was Entertainment Weekly's number one character in their list. He comes in at number 9 for me. Again, he pretends not to care about anything other then beer and pretzels. But deep down, Homer cares for his family. He has lived a crazy life, including his stint as a car salesman with his brother and also wound up in space with Barney.



8. Duncan MacLeod - Highlander People want to romanticize Edward Cullen in Twillight. But you know what, Duncan MacLeod was everything Cullen was before the books were written. He is immortal. He has lived for hundreds of years and reluctant to show his emotions or let anyone get close to him because he knew he would out live them. He always kept people at an arm's length, both as friends and more. But he let a few people in. I enjoy the movies as well, but I highly recommend the television show if you haven't seen it.



7. Chandler Bing - Friends I liked most of the Friends (Honestly, wasn't a huge Phoebe fan) but I am a huge fan of Chandler. Mostly due to the sarcasm that we both tend to use. He was loyal to all his Friends. He even loved his Chick and Duck!



6. Marty McFly - Back To The Future - By far Michael J. Fox's best movie character (Hard to argue McFly vs Alex P. Keaton, that's a debate for another time). There was just something about those movies. He just wanted to play his guitar and next thing you know his mother is in love with him. They just looked like fun movies to make.



5. Eric Cartman - South Park - Clearly not the smartest or nicest person on the list. But you know when Cartman is schemeing something funny is about to happen. He didnt care what people thought of him. He was a selfish character. He just was out for himself. But you can't argue he wasn't an original character. Though he would argue... he isn't fat. Just big boned.



4. Barney Stinson - How I Met Your Mother - No body is a bigger womanizer then Barney. But again. Just like most of my favorite characters he pretends not to care, but when push comes to shove if you need someone to help you... Barney would. He just wouldn't let you know that he was the one to help you. He is stylish and funny. And of course, Barney is awesome. Just ask him. He will tell you!



3. Randal Graves - Clerks Sarcastic. Check! Movie obsessed? Check! Kind of sounds familar. Doesnt it? Just like Cartman, he doesn't care what you think. He will tell you exactly what is on his mind. He doesn't hold back. Right or wrong, he will tell you exactly what is on his mind. If it offends you, that's your problem. Not his.



2. Dr. Percy Cox - Scrubs Are yoiu picking up a theme here? I am a huge fan of characters that speak their mind. Nobody rants quite like Dr. Cox can. I personally can connect with him as well. I see a little bit of him in me, especially at work. Part of me hopes that I am viewed the same way.



1. Ari Gold - Entourage. Another loud mouthed, foul mouth character. When he isn't in your face screaming at you, he wants to hug it out. He didn't even make it into EW's list, which really surprised me. But he tops my list of great characters!

There are some honorable mentions like Doc Brown and Biff Tannen from Back to The Future, Aldous Snow from Forgetting Sarah Marshall, William Miller from Almost Famous, Austin Powers, Stifler from American Pie and Kirk Lazarus from Tropic Thunder.

No comments:

Post a Comment