Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Adele Dazeem Edition

Welcome to another edition of the Entertainment Guru, the Post-Oscars edition. It would be so easy to have called it that, but how could I after the events of that night. But there is more to come on that shortly.

Let's see how well I did with my predictions for the night. I said that Jared Leto would win Best Supporting Actor, and the winner was indeed Jared Leto. I had picked Jennifer Lawrence to win Best Supporting Actress. I was wrong this time as Lupita Nyong’o won this year. I picked Matthew McConaughey and Cate Blanchett to win Best Actor and Best Actress respectively. I was correct on both, bringing my total for the year to 3-1. In the writing categories, I predicted correctly again with "12 Years a Slave" and "Her." I was also right with my prediction that "Frozen" would win Best Animated Movie. So now I am 6-1. I would call that a good year for me! But that's where the good news ends. I picked Steve McQueen to win Best Director, but the director of Gravity Alfonso Cuaron won. I also mis-predicted the movie that would win Best Picture. I said it would be "American Hustle" taking the trophy, but it was "12 Years a Slave" instead. So I finished the night picking 6-3. Still, not a bad total.

I thought that Ellen DeGeneres was, for the most part, a good host for the Oscars again. I think they went with a safe bet after last year's host Seth MacFarlane got a pretty mixed reaction from the fans. I thought the Selfie moment was cute and it did what they set out to do. It was indeed the most retweeted picture in the history of Twitter. Just the star power in that picture alone was incredible.

But not every bit in the Oscars worked for me. People wonder why the Oscars are the longest award show of the year. I can sum it up in one word from this year's ceremony. Pizza. I am not sure what that was supposed to accomplish. I laughed once, but I thought the whole skit was pointless, really.

And then there was the John Travolta flub. I don't know if he was nervous or what. But how one goes from Idina Menzel to Adele Dazeem is beyond me. For a guy that has been in Hollywood for almost forty years to not pronounce someone's name is just plain embarrassing.

My final thoughts on the Oscars 2014 are about the names missing from the In Memoriam section. I don't know how names like Cory Monteith, James Avery, Jonathan Winters, Tom Clancy and Dennis Farina were not included. I know the Oscars are about movies, but all of them have been involved in movies in someway or another. Monteith, Winters, Avery and Farina are more known for their work on television than in movies, but they have appeared in movies as well. And without Tom Clancy's novels we would have never gotten Jack Ryan. They were included in the web version of In Memoriam. Maybe if we took some parts out of the pizza bit, we would have been able to honor ALL who passed this year.

Special thanks as always to my wonderful editor and fiancée for once again re-reading my work so I can bring it to you.

79

No comments:

Post a Comment