Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Favorite Non-Blockbuster Movies Edition

A few weeks ago, I had mentioned something about doing a blog about some of my favorite movies that are smaller movies. Sure, I love the great blockbuster. Who doesn't like a movie where the hero must protect the world from blowing up and does it with just .001 seconds left on a timer? I know I do. But I also like the smaller movies. They never seem to get the press of the bigger movies, but doesn't make them any less enjoyable. So I thought I would show you, my loyal readers, a few of my smaller favorite movies. Hopefully you will enjoy them as much as I do!

Starting with the movie Beautiful Girls. It's a comedy drama about a bunch of friends who get together for their ten year high school reunion. The more things change, the more they stay the same for these friends. The cast includes Timothy Hutton, Matt Dillion, Rosie O'Donnell, Uma Thurman, Lauren Holly, Michael Rapaport, Mira Sorvino and a very young Natalie Portman.

Another movie about a reunion of sorts that I love is called Indian Summer. This time instead of a high school reunion, former campers return to their favorite summer camp for a week but this time as adults. Again, the campers fall into the same patterns they did as children. The cast includes Alan Arkin, Diane Lane, Bill Paxton, Kimberly Williams-Paisley, Kevin Pollack, Elizabeth Perkins, and believe it or not director Sam Raimi.

The Tag line drew me in at first. "The only thing more frightening then murder... high school". The movie is called Hiding Out. Jon Cryer plays a stock broker who is called to testify against a mob boss for insider trading. The mob boss sends a hit man after him. While attempting to flee the mob boss, he is mistaken for a high school student in his cousin's school. Part action, part drama, part fish out of water movie. It co-stars Keith Coogan and Annabeth Gish. This movie is pure 1980's!

Even though the leading lady was nominated for an Oscar, I don't think that Almost Famous ever got the respect it deserved. A fifteen year old boy pretends to be a reporter for Rolling Stone in an attempt to interview a band on the road gets more then he expected on his trip. Billy Crudup, Jason Lee, Frances McDormand, Kate Hudson, Patrick Fugit, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Zooey Deschanel, and Anna Paquin fill out the cast of this amazing movie written and directed by Cameron Crowe.

So there you have it. Four of my favorite under appreciated movies of all time. I hope they will bring you as much joy and pleasure as they have brought me over the years. Check them out and let me know what you think of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment